The Smart Tachograph (Generation 2)
What is a Smart Tachograph
Due for introduction in June 2019 the Smart Tachograph will include some ‘smart’ features.
- GPS positioning with records created at the start and end of journey together with every three hours in between.
- Communication with a short range device used by enforcement officers. The data will be limited and will simply indicate whether there are faults or infringements currently recorded on the equipment. This will mean that authorities can limit their activities to more suspect vehicles and save the time of innocent operators and drivers.
- The Smart Tachograph will introduce a new Drivers' card based on the new standard as described in the EU document 'Annex 1C'.
When will it be introduced?
Official introduction is 15th June 2019.
What do I need to do?
There will certainly be some considerations for operators.
- Driver Cards will be replaced as they come up for renewal so will not contain the new data until they comply with 'Annex 1C'. It will be legal to use an older card with a new Smart Tachograph and vise versa.
- You will need to make sure that your Tachograph Analysis Software can read the new Driver Card and Vehicle data as set out in 'Annex 1C'.
- If you have a vehicle fitted with a Smart Tachograph or your drivers have a new Driver Card then your download equipment will need to be able to parse the new data.
Tachosys Download Tools
The good news for customers with Tachosys products is that all products are updateable via the Internet. We will release firmware updates for all more recent products closer to the launch date of the Smart Tachograph once rigorous testing has been completed.